The Scottish Curry Awards 2012 winners have been revealed.
More than 7000 nominations were made right across Scotland with the ceremony at Glasgow’s Thistle Hotel.
Around three and a half million portions of curry are eaten every week in the UK and in Scotland there are more than 500 curry restaurants.
The winners are:
- Curry Lover of the Year: Glasgow City Council.
- Best Supermarket Curry Award presented by Anas Sarwar winner: Asda.
- Team of the Year sponsored by O2 winner: Taj Mahal (Biggar).
- Chef of the Year sponsored by Goldstar Chefs winner: Jagtar Singh (Taj Tandoori).
- Curry King or Queen 2012 presented by DRB Solicitors winner: Mohamed Ali.
- Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by ZEE TV winner: Rabinder Singh Uppal.
- The Best of Glasgow sponsored by RNIB winner: Charcoals Takeaway of the Year sponsored by HungryHouse North East winner is: Qismat – Aberdeen.
- North West winner is: Kebabish Curry house – Oban.
- South East winner is: Eastern Spices – Edinburgh.
- South West winner is: Halal Kebab House.
- Overall winner: Eastern Spices – Edinburgh.
- Restaurant of the Year sponsored by Bank of Scotland.
- North East winner is: Cinnamon – Aberdeen.
- North West winner is: Spice Tandoori – Fort William.
- South East winner is: Suruchi – Edinburgh.
- South West winner is : Rasoi – Lenzie.
- Overall winner: Rasoi Lenzie.
Glasgow is keen to regain the Curry Capital of Britain title which will be annouced during National Curry Week in October. The ‘Curry Capital of Britain’ title is given to the UK city by a team of independent judges. It’s up to you to nominate your favourite Indian restaurant in your city across the country. Nomination forms are available on The Federation of Specialist Restaurants website and from these, four will then be chosen to represent each city on September 5.
Each of those restaurants will then be invited to host a special dinner, with the proceeds going towards the Curry Tree charitable fund which helps poor and undernourished people around the world.
A team of independent judges will also make secret visits, reporting back to the panel which will announce the winning city on October 29.