Another great dish from guest chef Astrid Mitchison of Halo Eats. As with all the recipes on her website, this is suitable for vegans and is gluten free.
This chickpea based dish is ideal as a side dish or as part of a mezze style menu if you are serving lots of different dishes to your guests.
It also works well as a snack with poppadoms, rotis or other breads and some chutnies and raitas.
How to Make Channa Masala
1) Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat on the hob. Add the onion and lightly fry for a few minutes until softened.
2) Next, add the garlic, ginger and green chillis and stir over the heat for a further minute.
3) Stir in the spices (garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and ground turmeric). Note that the mixture will be very dry at this point.
4) Add the tomato puree, followed by the chickpeas and tinned tomatoes and stir to combine. Swish 300ml water into the empty tomato tin and add to the pan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
5) Add the spinach, coriander and lemon juice and stir, cooking until the spinach is just wilted.
Ingredients for Channa Masala
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 inch piece ginger, grated
2 green chillis, finely chopped (de-seed if you wish to reduce the heat)
1 & 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 handfuls spinach
1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Juice 1/2 lemon
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Links to other recipes and useful information about this recipe:
Enjoy more of guest chef Astrid Mitchison’s recipes on her website Halo Eats. As with all the recipes on her website, this is suitable for vegans and is gluten free.