Tandoori Chicken Naga is a spicy and highly flavored dish that goes well with naan bread, rice, or a cooling cucumber raita. You can also enjoy this delicious and fiery Naga-style Tandoori Chicken with your favourite side dishes but I always like to have plenty of breads and chutneys to hand.
How to Make Tandoori Chicken Naga Recipe
- Start by preparing the chicken. Cut deep slashes into each piece of chicken to allow the marinade to penetrate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, Naga chili paste, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala, paprika, and salt. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to create a well-blended marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, ensuring they are well-coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight for the best flavor. The longer the marination, the more flavorful your Tandoori Chicken Naga will be.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. You can also use a tandoor or an oven set to the highest temperature.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto skewers. If using wooden skewers, remember to soak them in water for about 30 minutes beforehand to prevent burning.
- Lightly oil the grill grates to prevent sticking. Place the chicken skewers on the grill and cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked and has a nice charred exterior.
- Check for doneness by cutting into a thick portion of the chicken. It should be opaque and no longer pink in the center.
- Once the Tandoori Chicken Naga is cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Ingredients for Tandoori Chicken Naga Recipe
For the Marinade:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons Naga chili paste (adjust to your spice preference)
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon organic garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika (for color)
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil, for grilling
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Links to other recipes and useful information about this recipe: